Thursday, August 13, 2009

Pure Praise - Week 6 Reflection



This week focused on qualities of leadership, and the day that impacted me the most was day 2 (Recognition is not required). I wonder if many of us in the arts, and serve in front of people struggle with this.

My story can be wrapped up in one visual - a key.

Sara and I served as volunteers at a church before coming to Cherry Hills, and we both held quite a few positions. Not only did we help out with the services, Sunday, and children's activities, but I was the Vice-Moderator of the Leadership Coordination Team. I was 25 years old, and basically the 2nd in charge on the leadership team. You can probably see where this is going, but I had such an attitude of entitlement. I thought all of my ideas were the best ideas, and should be followed. And if people didn't follow my ideas then the other people were just crazy! I didn't like what I was becoming, and looking back, I wish I could do some things over.

When we decided to come to Cherry Hills, I just wanted to be part of a church - not lead anything, just be part of something. I remember getting involved with some ministries at Cherry Hills and being offered a key from the staff (we pass out keys like candy around here), and I turned them down for some time. You see, for me, that key represented the worst about me. It gave me access to the church whenever I wanted it, and it gave me this spirit of entitlement that I was more important than other people. So I turned down a key for some time.

I now have a key to the church, but I always want to remember that it doesn't allow me special priviledges or value. I always need to check myself and remember why I'm doing what I'm doing, and rememeber that "Recognition is not required." I've actually gotten to the point now where I prefer to be behind the scenes working on service planning because it helps me not desire or require the recognition.

In addition, I think for the most part, the Arts Team at Cherry Hills does a good job of this. Churches are notorious for blow-ups in the arts of prima donnas needed recognition and stage time. That's why in our Worship Arts Guidelines we include this paragraph,

"Humility and Grace: We all agree and understand that there are no ‘stars’ on this team. Although there are varying degrees of giftedness and skill and as a result some team members may occasionally carry a larger leadership role, every person on this team is equally important and is committed to playing whatever role they are asked to play. No one is above singing back-up vocals, serving behind the scenes, aiming lights, hauling equipment, plugging in cords, pushing a broom or whatever it takes to help the entire team succeed. And no team is more important than another. We all exist to serve God and to serve one another, and we come together to do what none of us could do alone. Our focus is never on who gets the recognition or the opportunity. Our one desire is simply that the Kingdom of God goes forward, and to that end each of us will humbly serve in whatever capacity will allow us to accomplish that best."

Let's keep being a team that allow God to increase as we decrease.

5 comments:

Keith Wilson said...

A couple of things from this week stand out. First, like Brian, day 2 stands out ("Recognition Is Not Required").

I sometimes put on a persona of "over-importance." People who know me know that it's a joke. For example, when I auditioned for the team here, Brian said something like, "You really bring a lot of talent blah-blah-blah..." (Yes, he actually said, "blah-blah-blah"), to which I responded with "Well, yes, clearly I'm the answer to your prayers..." Fortunately, Brian knew I was joking. Can you imagine what kind of personality that would be to deal with in the praise team?

In all honesty, I am perfectly happy sitting behind everyone just playing guitar as I am out in front. God has unique and sometimes humorous ways of letting us know exactly where we stand when we start walking around acting like we're waiting for a vacancy in the Trinity.

I am so thankful that God has brought Michele and me to Cherry Hills, and that he placed us in service here where He wants us, exactly when He wanted us there. And I'm thankful that He has allowed me to serve with a team of like-hearted servants.

The other item that hit home with me this week is the "Discipline of Difficulties"...Lord knows I've created some difficulties in my own life, and I was struck by Moore's exhortation to "take some time to analyze the most significant trials you've faced."
One of his questions in particular hit me: "Did...it serve to make you better...or bitter?" I'm afraid some of my trials left me bitter. Which means I didn't learn from them. My prayer at the end of this study was to thank God for trials and struggles that serve to strengthen me and make me better today.

Anonymous said...

I agree with day 2 as well. Day 4 is what really stood out for me. First I don't feel worthy enough to lead, but in the same breath, God has given me a gift that I think he wants me to use for Him. I do feel called, but never worthy enough. Are we ever worthy enough for God? His grace and mercy allow us to lead and worship Him. The other thing on day 4 was discipline. Sometimes I assume I will be able to learn a song easily and don't always commit the time to work on it like I should. Keith, I have had some difficulties that I'm not always proud or happy of the way I've handled them, but I have learned and hope in the future I will handle situations differently. I have to comment about the rock tumbler on day 5. My youngest daughter Bria had a rock tumbler, firts that brought back some fond memories. I need to keep tumbling because I know God isn't finished with me yet and I have a lot of rough edges.

Brenda said...

Anonymous was Brenda, sorry. I used the wrong URL thing.

M. Scott Coffman said...

Day 3 was my heart check. Patience is very much not my best thing. It has gotten a BIT easier for me to trust God to open doors of opportunity is His time, but I still find myself frequently looking for things I can do to better myself (on my OWN time). I was encouraged by the affirmation in Steve's messgae today that we have a part to play in our own success/prosperity. All good things come from God, but we still have to reach out to receive them. Still, I really need to work on the serenity part. I just always feel like I should be doing more to promote myself, and yet, that seems to be the opposite of what I read in scripture. Well, I suppose in case of a tie, God wins!
Historically I have never really had a problem with "blooming where I'm planted," This seems to be getting harder as I get older though. I wonder if I am feeling more discontented more frequently just because I'm about to turn 40 and it's a mid-life thing? (Over-40 guys, help me out on this one. Does it get better again?) I'm not sure if I am feeling a sense of Godly urgency about making major changes in my life/career, or if I just need to take a breath and ride this out. It's just frustrating to me that God works on a need-to-know basis, because I'm the kind of guy who likes to plot a course first. Tough to do that if you don't know where you're going. But that's why they call it faith, isn't it?
The most insightful thing about Day 4 for me was the concept that discipline preceeds integrity. Growing up, my greatest personal ambition has always been to be a man of integrity, whatever direction my career ended up taking. I think I feel this way because that's the first thing I think of when I think of my dad. I have never aspired even for a minute to follow in his footsteps career-wise, but I always wanted to be a man like he is, whose yes is yes and whose no is no, and you always know where you stand with him, because he'll never lie to you. From this day's reading, I see that leaving that kind of a legacy doesn't come by happenstance; it takes work.
Lots of great imagery on day 5. First, the rock tumbler of course. I also liked the concept that every valley must have two mountains. That's very encouraging. Then the bit about the guy cutting open the cocoon prematurely. I think I have done that several times in my life--trying to make something happen in my career or life before I was prepared. Which brings me back to God's timing again. I know he has "success" in store for me, but I believe that for now, I am supposed to be blooming where I'm planted. So I will worship in the waiting, and watch carefully for the next door to open.

Unknown said...

Scott, I totally identify with the “like to plot a course first but it’s tough to do that if you doon’t know where you’re going.” I recently heard a sermon that really spoke to me. Pastor Mark Driscoll out in Seattle said that anxiety comes from our desire to be omniscient and soveriegn. Man, if that isn’t me to a T. I want to know the future rather than just rest in God. I find myself asking God about specific things in the future and what He would have me do. While I do believe he gives specific assinments to individuals I think the Lord wants us to rest in Him and trust that He will work things out for our good rather than tell us the future so we can follow it perfectly.

I love what Dwayne says about success in day 3. True success gives us security in that we don’t have to feel like we have to fight to maintain our position. We are where God wants us. Being still and simply trusting in God has been huge for me this past month. As I plan to go through some major life changes I have been resting more and more on the one that never changes. While my head gets that, I have to remind my heart constantly.