Thursday, July 24, 2008

1%

Mark Batterson, lead pastor of National Community Church gave this quote at the Unplugged Conference I attended about a month ago. He said this:

"Pay attention to details. Everything says something about something. 1% of what you do makes 99% of the difference."

I totally agree with this, as I'm a detail person myself. I wish I had more vision casting capability, but my strengths include detail and execution.

So I want to play this out for you in how the 1% rule makes all the difference in the world in worship services.

Last Wednesday night our praise team practice a set of songs that included: Open the eyes of my heart Lord; The Stand; Your Name; and Breathe. This was to be the set before the message, which was on Abraham and the Covenant. We were supposed to end the services with a song of response - For Who You Are by Hillsong.

It was an acoustic set, with 2 acoustic guitars, a bass guitar and a djembe. So after the entire practice was over, Jenny (the worship leader that week) called and said the songs just felt like they fit better as a response to being people of the covenant, rather than opening songs. So we followed the Spirit's leading and switched everything around.

And that little detail - the 1% detail made a 99% difference in the entire service. Rather than having an acoustic opening set that was pretty meditative (and potentially not engaging), we had a powerful time of response after the message by singing together for 15 minutes.

The courage to change things up and pay attention to the 1% detail, made a 99% difference. Thanks Jenny!

No comments: