Monday, July 14, 2008

Baptism Sunday

We celebrate baptism Sundays approximately 4 times a year, and this past Sunday was one of those days. On Sunday, we baptized 14 people - children and adults, and watched Greg's baptism on video. These Sundays are the highlight in the life of our church.

I grew up probably undervaluing baptims, and not fully understanding how important it is. And I now go to a seminary which has historically placed too much emphasis on baptism (water regeneration), so I've had to come to some beliefs about baptism on my own through the reading of the Bible.

I'm reading the Gospel of Luke right now, and I just read about John the Baptist immersing people, including Jesus. And in Chapter 3, John tells the Pharisees and the crowds that baptism was of no value unless accompanied by a deep inner change of heart (repentance).

Salvation comes through confessing that Jesus Christ is Savior and Lord; and in baptism we are identified in the death and life of Jesus Christ, and are publicly making the declaration that we will die to ourselves and put Christ first. In baptism we are declaring that we will deny ourselves, take up our cross and follow Jesus.

Three things stand out to me on a baptism Sunday. One, the people getting baptized are making a huge, important, life-changing, dangerous decision to follow Jesus. Two, followers of Jesus who have already been baptized have the opportunity to be reminded about the importance of their own baptism - and we can be reminded to live our baptism every day. And three, people who are still on the way have an opportunity to see how Jesus changes lives. I'm already looking forward to our next baptism service on October 19, 2008.

5 comments:

Miranda said...

Baptism is a funny thing. I grew up Baptist, so therefore believe in a believer's baptism, yet working for the Lutherans, they practice infant baptism. I have had some interesting conversations with people about the differences. I don't know if I could theologically agree with infant baptism. What are your thoughts on that?

brian said...

Miranda,

Good question. I guess I have to go back to my root conviction that baptism doesn't save someone; it's the decision they make to follow Jesus that saves. Obviously infants can't make that decision, and there are some adults that are baptized that have not made that decision either.

That being said, I went to a Lutheran college, and many of my friends have baptized their babies, and I've been there to watch and support them. Many times the pastor told the parents to remind their child about this day and what it means as they grow up. On one ocassion the pastor actually told the parents to teach their children that they need to make a decision to follow Jesus as they got older. If that is the case, then I don't have problems with infant baptism - but in that case it's more for the parents to dedicate their children - not for the forgiveness of sins.

So we dedicate children to the Lord, so their parents can make a comittment to teach their child about Jesus. Nowhere in the Bible is infant baptism demonstrated, it's always people who have made a personal decision to be in a relationship with Jesus Christ.

Justin said...

Hey Brian,

Justin Thornburgh here. I, too, struggle with infant baptism, yet have grown to understand it more. My wife was born and raised Lutheran. My god-daughter became such at her baptism.

I had a great discussion about this would her (god-daughter) uncle. Lutherans and other infant baptism traditions have confirmation classes once the children come of age, and it is at this time they learn about their baptismal vows. They learn to take them upon themselves. Many take these classes sometime during high-school. I think confirmation classes are a good thing and gives people the chance to make a decision or not. However, many times confirmation class is just a chore one must do.

During this time I also explained believers baptism to the uncle. He was as confused about it as I was infant baptism.

During our conversation he confessed he had a problem with "mandatory" confirmation classes and thinks one should decide for ones self when he/she should take the classes. I think that is a great understanding.

also, many liturgical churches celebrate days of baptismal remembrance (usually during the feast of Jesus' baptistm and sometimes Ash Wed.) This is something I wish more of us in the "low church" would do more of.

anyhoo...those be me thought.

jt

Justin said...

p.s. I added a link to this on my blog, so i remember to check it regularly.

jt

http://celticwander.wordpress.com

brian said...

Good stuff Justin. I agree with you. That's a great conversation you got into. Just a wild thought...it might not be a bad idea for adults seeking baptism to take a "confirmation class." In the early church it took 2-3 years to become a member of a body. The first couple years would be spent learning the foundation of the faith and what they were getting into, culminating in being baptized on Easter Sunday. I wonder what church might be like if we took membership that seriously.

Also, love you picture on your post - that's fantastic. It's great to hear from you. Hope all is well in Chi-town!