Monday, July 28, 2008

Familiar Verse - New Revelation

I have read Luke 10:38-42 many times, but I haven't caught this before. I'm reading the ESV this year, and I love the translation they use.

This is the familiar story of Mary and Martha and how they act when Jesus visits their home. The text tells us that Mary sat at Jesus' feet and listened to his teaching. Verse 40 then says, "But Martha was distracted with much serving. And she went up to him and said, "Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me to serve alone? Tell her then to help me." Jesus goes on to respond to Martha with these words"

But the Lord answered her, "Martha, Martha, you are anxious and troubled about many things, but one thing is necessary. Mary has chosen THE GOOD PORTION, which will not be taken away from her.

THE GOOD PORTION! Somehow I had missed those three words for 33 years. And now in the past week I can't get them out of my head. In ministry and life in general we get so busy doing things (even good things like serving at church or in the community) that we forget to sit at the feet of Jesus and listen to his teaching.

So today, may you do the one thing necessary and choose THE GOOD PORTION.

No comments: